View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Finally, I can post what I've been trying to for the past two weeks, lol.

So far we have seen Boromir against every decision of the Fellowship (Moria, Lothlorien, then later Amon Hen). Of course we don't miss any of his complaining either. And it has got me thinking, is Boromir in the Fellowship for the wrong reasons? I think the answer comes out the most in this chapter.

Quote:
"As for me," said Boromir, "my way home lies onward and not back."
"That is true," said Celeborn, "but is all this Company going with you to Minas Tirith?"
Quote:
"If my advice is heeded, it will be the western shore, and the way to Minas Tirith," answered Boromir. "But I am not the leader of the Company."
Boromir is all gunho about going to Minas Tirith. Earlier chapters we heard him say, "I won't go unless all votes of the Company are against me (which they were). Now we see him, he's committed to going to Minas Tirith, and it just makes you wonder if that's the only reason he joined the company? We already knew he was heading to Minas Tirith, from the Council, but if you ask me it's the wrong reason of joining. All the other members joined to help Frodo out, Gandalf just comes off to me like he would never leave Frodo. Legolas and Gimli are tested from staying in Lothlorien, but they continue to prod on, because they can't leave Frodo. Of course none of the Hobbits will leave Frodo. Where Boromir is tested, he has a choice of staying and helping Frodo (like the others) or he could go home. I left Aragorn out for this reason. He too originally joined the Company to head for Minas Tirith, he thought it was his time, but then we see this in Farewell to Lorien.

Quote:
His own plan, while Gandalf remained with them, had been to go with Boromir, and with his sword help to deliver it to Gondor. For he believed that the message of the dreams was a summons, and that the hour had come at last when the heir of Elendil should come forth and strive with Sauron for the mastery. But in Moria the burden of Gandalf had been laid on him; and he knew that he could not now forsake the Ring, if Frodo refused in the end to go with Boromir.
Aragorn's original plans were to go to Minas Tirith, but with Gandalf died, he too can't bring himself to leaving Frodo. It seems to me, as the other members of the Company can't leave Frodo, they refuse their own "wishes" to help Frodo. Gimli and Legolas don't want to leave Lorien, but they do because as Gimli says laters "he can't abandon the company now." Aragorn, thought his time to bring the sword to Gondor had come, but if Frodo refuses to go, he can't just leave Frodo. So, Boromir is the only one that would choose his "wish" of heading to Minas Tirith, instead of going on with Frodo. He would abandon Frodo, if it came down to it, if it came down between Frodo or Minas Tirith, it was Minas Tirith. Where the other members, their will would cause them to stay with Frodo. Just makes me wonder, did Boromir join the fellowship for the wrong reasons?

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-31-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote