View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
And I have to comment on the off-topic discussion going on here: the Army of the Dead was essential for getting rid of the Corsairs, but what were the Corsairs for? Tolkien could have left them out if he had wanted to, with no serious damage to his plot.
Well, they were there in order to make Sauron's armies being stronger than Gondor, and disallowing Minas Tirith getting all reinforcements it could - so that somebody may come and save it all with sudden change of winds, just like Aragorn did with the Dead So, you see, it's a sort of infinite circle.

Anyway - to the task at hand - while Tom is, of all the three trolls, the most stupid (in my opinion, and now thinking not about the intellect, but about the general behavior) and the one I really don't like much, still, he is a Troll, and I like him more than the cats. I am not a huge fan of the tale of the cats, I never found it particularly interesting. Not at all, in fact. I am also voting him a bit as a deputy of his fellow Bert, who, unfortunately, did not make it among the candidates. So,

++Tom the Troll

(I hope everybody understands that Tuor meant this one, and not the other fella with the same name and yellow boots Hey, isn't it interesting how some names reoccur, a pity we don't have two Berts as well...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote