View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #134
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Literary language, the language of stories, of metaphor, of similes, of poetry, of rock music, of musicals (I would include advertising and political speeches, but they are subsets of this group with slightly different appeals) grants to readers/hearers much greater scope for interpretation, because the context and the purpose is very different. In these uses of language, the significant aspect is the active role of the reader in comprehension. Another way of saying this is that they are reader unfriendly!! They don't do al the work of the reader for the readers, but expect the reader to participate actively in comprehension. This is the high end of language comprehension in terms of how much work the reader must do.
I entirely agree. The 'stop sign' is but an example. I also entirely agree that Tolkien's work is a work in the 'literary language' you speak of. He left many things up to the reader, the reader's imagination, etc.

I am certainly for reading books in a literary sense also. Take in all you can, feel free to interpret, whatever you like. But I am quite sure Tolkien had his own meaning behind his works, despite his decision to leave much of the thinking up the reader.

And that is what "literary reading" does not change.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote