View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #47
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Dismayed at the departure of his old friend, Sam stopped listening to the conversation of the others for a few moments. He didn’t blame Eric; not one bit. He was needed more at home, taking care of his mother and sisters. Nevertheless, Sam felt bereft. The two of them tramping through the Breeland would have been a bit like old times despite this unknown danger.

When Sam returned his attention to others, he found they were discussing the idea of looking around the Chetwood versus making inquiries in Bree itself. Someone asked about the idea of a person doing all that damage. Sam was shocked at the idea of such cruelty to defenseless animals. He was more inclined to believe that some creature from Outside was attacking the livestock; in a way, that was less frightening than thinking that one of the Bree-folk might be responsible.

“Why would somebody hurt their neighbors’ livestock? That doesn’t make sense,” he said aloud. “It’s likely hiding in the Chetwood. I vote to start there, but we should bring a few days’ vittles with us, and some blankets in case we have to track it a ways. Maybe we can gather our supplies this afternoon and start out first thing tomorrow morning.” Turning to Farmer Mugwort, he added nervously, “I’ll go along with whatever you think is best, but that’s my two pennies worth.”