View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #333
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Now this was interesting. Eodwine was sure that he had seen Léof looking very nervous when he had first come into the Hall. Now the lad had spoken plainly and clearly, and with a good bit of confidence. Eodwine was actually impressed. He watched Léof measuringly for another moment or two, and did not see so much as an ill at ease shifting of foot to foot; the lad looked at him, eye to eye, simply awaiting the Eorl's response. Eodwine allowed a slow smile.

"Léof, you have done well as ostler. I have just one complaint."

The crowd murmured at that, for so far Eodwine had said no ill thing to the others. He waited for the murmurs to die down, every eye turned to him, waiting for the possibly fatal words.

"It is the matter of your foot. Not that you had an injury, for that could happen to any good ostler with a terrified horse or two to mind. No, it was your refusal to have it cared for. I do not know what passed through your mind to be so mulish about it, but as you know, I overruled you and forced your foot to be looked at, minded, and we hope, healed.

"So I ask you, not only if you will submit to my orders and rulings as they are given, but will you also submit to the rulings of those in whom I place my authority? What is your answer?"