View Single Post
Old 03-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #231
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Kaldir
At Gilly's prompting, Kaldir thought back to his brief visit at the Forsaken Inn, his run-ins there with Hanasian and Lespheria, his relentless stalking and eventual abduction of Benia Nightshade. It seemed a very long time ago, even though, in actual fact, those events lay not even a month in the past. Nonetheless, the world seemed a very different place now. Strangely, upon entering Imladris, he felt almost like a ranger again. The single-minded anger and resentment that had driven him so fiercely for years had subsided within him to a mere undercurrent. He knew the change was largely owing to the presence of his companions over the past several weeks: Gilly, Benia, Dúlrain, and even, to a far lesser degree, Rauthain. He felt a kind of connection to them all that he would not have believed himself capable of feeling, even so recently as a month prior.

He looked down at the orcish blade in his hand. Perhaps it was time for a change in his life. If so, he would have a good many bridges to mend before he could return to the society of his brethren - if that was the course he decided to take - not the least of which would be with Rauthain and Amandur. Over the years, he had allowed, even encouraged, so many bonds to be broken. Ahead of him, Gilly laughed merrily.

“I confess, I don’t think he was very pleased to make my acquaintance,” she said, speaking of her introduction to Kaldir's horse, Nico, back at the Forsaken Inn.

"I don't think he is ever pleased to make anyone's acquaintance," answered Kaldir mildly. "Unless whoever it is arrives bearing a bucket of oats or a brush and a curry comb. To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't come away a pair of hoofprints embedded in your backside."

"I did come away with a set of teethmarks," admitted Gilly. "In my backside."

Kaldir laughed drily. "Then I'm not surprised. Every once in a while, the ornery old fellow even takes a snap at me." He paused and looked back in the direction of the staircase. "Even so, I should like to get him back. He and I have been through quite a lot together."

"I can imagine," answered Gilly. She, too, turned and looked back toward the battlefield and the fading sounds of fighting. It was mostly over now. The orcs had been put to flight, and the elves had begun to go about the sad business of seeing to their wounded and collecting their dead.

Still looking back, past Rauthain and the others who followed, Kaldir hesitated as a rush of light-headedness swept over him. Closing his eyes, he raised his left hand and rubbed his forehead over the bridge of his nose, where a headache had begun to take root. Naiore was still out there somewhere, not terribly far off, if he knew her at all. He still intended to catch her if he could and collect the revenge he was due, but, for the first time, he felt a nagging doubt that he was up to the task. After all, had not the mere sight of her just made him swoon on the battlefield like a timid milkmaid? He frowned darkly. Perhaps it was just the shock of seeing the Ravenner for the first time after so long that had made him react so. He would have to assume it was that. Otherwise, how could he force himself to go on? Next time, he simply must not be so weak.

Kaldir turned and, with Gilly beside him, again moved onward toward the last homely house. Ahead, he could see Amandur and Rinmar, the elven captain he had encountered in the grove, mounting the front steps. Amandur seemed to be favoring one arm, which made Kaldir remember suddenly the blow he had received at the hands of the orc he had been fighting when he first caught sight of Naiore. He looked down at his own torn and blood-soaked clothes, noticing that the bloodstains had already begun to dry a rusty brown around the edges. He had gotten so accustomed to the notion of pain, that he had not even noticed the stubborn, throbbing ache that had set in across his shoulder and upper chest. Perhaps, he thought to himself, it had been the loss of blood that had made him lose consciousness on the battlefield, rather than a passing weakness of mind. It was a comforting thought, but Kaldir instantly recognized its falseness. To delude himself with such niceties could only lead to failure and death where Naiore was concerned.

"A scratch," he murmured.

"What's that?" asked Gilly at his elbow. He looked down at her and noticed that a fresh bruise was rising on her cheek in nearly the same spot as the one that had recently healed, which she had received at the hands of the orc in the Lonelands.

"It looks as though you've taken another blow to your face," he said, kneeling down beside her to take a closer look. "It's not too bad," he added. "I don't think the bone is fractured, but you should be more careful. After all, gallant mistress, you don't want to end up looking like me. Perhaps it is time you hung up your sword."

Gilly looked doubtfully between Kaldir and the jeweled sword in her hand. Then, she shook her head. "Well, I don't know... with all these orcs about..."

Kaldir laughed. "They will be gone soon." His pale eyes grew serious. "Once their mistress has been dealt with, there will be nothing to keep them here. When that time comes, should I still be breathing, I place myself at your service to return you safely to your husband and home."

"After all," he added, rising again to his full height. "It would be only right as it is by my actions that you find yourself in these circumstances at all."

Gilly seemed about to respond to Kaldir's words, when her attention was suddenly drawn away by something happening on the walkway behind him. Kaldir turned in time to see that the unfamiliar young man he had first noticed with Rauthain and Toby Longholes on the battlefield had just drawn his sword. The three of them had come up behind him and Gilly as Kaldir had paused to examine the bruise on Gilly's face. Noticing the hobbit lady's eyes upon him, the young man rather glibly rattled off an explanation for his actions that sounded reasonable enough on the surface, but Kaldir heard something in the undertones of the fellow's voice that set his instincts as a bounty hunter on edge. The young man was lying. Why?

Narrowing his eyes, Kaldir studied the newcomer's face.