View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #24
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
What's the breakdown between the Havens of Sirion and the Isle of Balar? My admittedly vague understanding is that Sirion was founded by the refugees of Gondolin and Doriath, while everyone else - the remnants of the Falas, Nargothrond, and Hithlum - were holed up on Balar. If that's right, then... well, I have no idea how the numbers break down. Are there any known refugees of Nargothrond and Hithlum?
One certainly gets the impression from the Turinssaga that the Men of Hithlum all died in the Nirnaeth, and their women, children and elderly all became thralls of the Easterlings, save some few escapees who became outlaws (like Forweg and Androg). Similarly, it seems that the entire population of Nargothrond was either slaughtered or dragged off to slavery. So I would say "pretty close to zero."

You're right I think about Balar- Cirdan and the Falathrim had buggered off to there, only maintaining "hidden outposts" in the mainland fens, from which the doomed expeditions to Valinor were launched, as Voronwe told Tuor.