View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #237
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
P.S: I read your theory (the one where Maglor killed Maedhros) and I have mixed feelings about it.
Ohhh yes, that one. I really like that one. ^_^ Unlike a lot of my theories, I managed to stuff that idea with enough symbolism that it feels like something Tolkien could have written.

(Note that I'm not saying he did. Unlike the Not-So-Crackpot Theories, which go on the idea that Tolkien didn't tell us everything, the Filthy Liars section plays with the idea of Tolkien as an unreliable narrator. Much as I enjoy the theory itself, Tolkien was very clear on what happened to the Silmarils.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Do you think that Elves of Gondolin will hold a grudge? As in, will they try to mob-lynch the subject of their ire upon rebirth?
I'd sort of assume Mandos' judgement would take into account whether his guests had vengeance in their hearts, and not let them out until they were healed. So anyone who needed to be reembodied wouldn't hold a grudge. But... not all the elves of Gondolin died. I think at least a couple of the Lords of the City made it out, even (on checking, Tuor and Galdor are the only lords of houses to get past the Second Kinslaying, but even so).

But... assuming that Maeglin is released immediately after the end of the Third Age (this is amazingly generous; personally I doubt he's coming out at all), that's still over six thousand years for the survivors of Gondolin to hold a grudge. Can you imagine still caring about something after what's basically the entire length of human civilisation - and caring about it enough to commit murder, and get yourself brought before the Valar Themselves?

I don't imagine they'd particularly like Maeglin, at least at first. If the House of Finwe accepts him as one of their own, they could probably rehabilitate him - it's hard to imagine the survivors muttering against overmuch him once Turgon has publically forgiven him. But I don't think lynching is particularly likely.

THAT SAID... what about before reembodiment? I've taken the position before that the Halls of Mandos are a fairly solitary environment, but Tolkien gives us an example of quite an involved interaction between deceased elves: Finwe and Miriel, who pretty much put together a legal case in the Halls. So apparently they can meet up, and even disagree; so yeah, dead!Maeglin would most definitely be shunned, even assuming no form of pseudo-physical interaction was possible.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote