View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #211
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I believe that, had he stayed in Doriath, and took Nellas as his wife, the curse would have been avoided.
Does the quote not seem to you like the reason Nellas was spared the Curse was only because Turin left her, did not associate with her any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
Alternatively, since Beleriand is Morgoth's domain, if he and his family fled Beleriand, they would have been safe from the curse. And Morgoth would have been left with Hurin alone.
I thought Morgoth claimed his domain to be the whole of Arda. Arguably though his presence was mainly in Beleriand. I don't know if there's a way to show one way or another, but he did try to put the whole world under his power, and thinking thinking he has ousted the influence of the Valar in the world beyond Aman he might have claimed all of it for his own. Also, curious about when his interactions with Men started. I recall the coming of Men only vaguely, and I'm not sure if Morgoth's messengers could already have been at work before the Men came close to Beleriand. There are also scattered references to the Fathers of Men fleeing from some darkness, and to Morgoth poisoning the Gift so that Men would fear death; that must have happened somewhere early on.

But regardless, don't think that would have worked anyways given that Turin's life passion was to fight Morgoth, something that's hard to do when you're a million miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
I wrote a what-if story about what would have happened if Beleg and Nellas tried to waylay the Curse.
Does it involve both of them end up dying horribly?

(I'm kidding. Fanfic is where we can have our favourite characters stay alive and choose the righter option, even as we know it can't be this way.)