View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 10:01 AM   #208
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I read a synopsis, I am somewhat familiar with it. I would indeed like the story - just maybe not in that format.

Going back to the discussion of Turin and the Curse and the what-ifs, I came upon this interesting quote:

This makes it sound like Turin's "shadow" was an ever-present entity, and one that he would not have avoided had he stayed in Doriath. In a way it implies that whatever he does and whoever he associates with will be overcast by it. If he didn't ruin Finduilas, he would have ruined Nellas. If he didn't ruin Nargothrond, it would have been Doriath.

And I still stand by my earlier argument that whatever he does he will worse than fail by the nature of the Curse, but his problem is that he always rises high and so the stakes are always high and the disaster is big. He can't keep his head down, not meddle in the big affairs, keep to himself in a quiet way. No, he has to lead and lead big, as big as he can, so the crash is big too. Had he lead some quiet reclusive life on a farmstead or in the woods or something, his doom might have been proportionally small. And he tried for a while - with the outlaws, and later before his integration into Brethil - but he just can't be less than he is. He is a great man, a great fighter, a great leader, and he can't not be the best he can be.

I believe that, had he stayed in Doriath, and took Nellas as his wife, the curse would have been avoided.

Alternatively, since Beleriand is Morgoth's domain, if he and his family fled Beleriand, they would have been safe from the curse. And Morgoth would have been left with Hurin alone.

I wrote a what-if story about what would have happened if Beleg and Nellas tried to waylay the Curse.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 04-25-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote