View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #1290
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
About now, I'd rather be on the boats headed to Rauros with Alatariel! (I could use a pedicure AND a facial after all this windburn!)
Lyta: Ask Gwaihir to give you a lift downriver. Legolas and I still have all the beauty supplies and plenty of time to spare--and I'm sure Merry and Pippin would be happy to give you a massage, as well! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Alatįriėl, you have walked an amazing distance already! If I see it correctly, you hold the record for mileage so far.
Estelyn: Wow...I can remember when I first started the walk. It seemed I was so far behind everyone that I thought I'd never catch up. An unexpected (but nice) result has been losing 30 pounds, but the best part was spending time with the Fellowship and my fellow B-D'ers along the way. It's been fun...and it ain't over yet.

The tedium of the journey, or something else, is beginning to wear on Frodo. He grows more and more silent and withdrawn. I know Sam has been watching him closely and his worry mirrors mine. There is not much we can do for Frodo other than care for his comfort and give him the support of our friendship. I hope it will be enough...

--------------------

Sam looked from bank to bank uneasily. The trees had seemed hostile before, as if they harboured secret eyes and lurking dangers; now he wished that the trees were still there. He felt that the Company was too naked, afloat in little open boats in the midst of shelterless lands, and on a river that was the frontier of war.

In the next day or two, as they went on, borne steadily southwards, this feeling of insecurity grew on all the Company. For a whole day they took to their paddles and hastened forward. The banks slid by. Soon the River broadened and grew more shallow; long stony beaches lay upon the east, and there were gravel-shoals in the water, so that careful steering was needed. The Brown Lands rose into bleak wolds, over which flowed a chill air from the East. On the other side the meads had become rolling downs of withered grass amidst a land of fen and tussock. Frodo shivered, thinking of the lawns and fountains, the clear sun and gentle rains of Lothlórien. There was little speech and no laughter in any of the boats. Each member of the Company was busy with his own thoughts.