Thread: In War
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #37
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Darian looked up from his bowl of beef stew. With a full mouth, he watched as a man rushed in and addressed Barak. The man had a carrying case, which was for messages. It looked as if it was one of those that carried special messages, like ones from royalty.

The conversation between Barak and the man confirmed his supsicions. It was the case that the errand rider carried with him. It was unopened, which he thought was unusual. If the attackers were spies wouldn't they want to read the message? Not if they already knew what it said, Darian thought.

He listened to Reed put up her suggestion, and Barak basically shoot it down.

"If you really think this is a good idea, then I'm sure there are a few others who share your opinion," Barak said. "Well, are there?"

Darian swiped a bread roll through his soup and took a bite. This was pretty good stuff. After this was all over, he would make sure he visited this inn again.

"I do," he said. The others looked at him. Some were surprised that he had spoken. Probably because he was quite during their trip up here.

"Its a pretty good idea, similar to some tactics that I've used in Ithilien. In Ithilien, we split up and find targets to hit-either orc bands on scouting missions or companies of Southrons heading for the Black Gate. Once a target is found, the Ranger that found the target then alerts the rest and we scout ahead on the trail and set up an ambush. Its as simple as that."

"What we can do here is split up. The only thing that I would change about Reed's plan is the group part. I'd say half of us head out into the countryside and look for clues. Question anybody that we can find. They will go alone, so as to not raise suspicion, and that will make the person they are questioning not feel as if they are in some sort of trouble. The other half stays here in town. They will see if any strange characters came through town, inquiring about the errand rider.

"But, as its been stated, we need to be discreet about it. If we raise suspicion about ourselves, we could get into trouble. Those that are attacking the errand riders will now try to hinder us, if they know about our mission."

Darian looked at the others, particularly at Reed. As the others began talking it over, he looked at Reed and nodded. He hoped that his genuine confirmation of her plan would break the ice between them. He looked at the table, but there were no rolls left. He still had plenty of soup, but no rolls.
He turned at saw a worker of the inn, waiting tables.

Darian signaled the worker.

"Friend, can we have some more rolls?"