View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
I am not sure I agree with your premise, because demographics do not indicate who has control of the country. One country may have a high percentage of women, but the power could be in the hands of hawkish group of men. That apart surely the country involved in the most wars is probably America and not China.

I would agree with Boromir, but i think the other reason for Imperialism is a lack of satisfaction with what you have. The need to rule a greater land, have greater riches etc. Using the example of Numenor they were at their happiest when they were content with their own island. Erendis is a good example of this. She was perfectly happy with Numenor had no need to try and gain anything else.

Back onto the subject of dwarves I believe they held a similar position to Erendis. They were often content with their own kingdoms. It provided them with everything they needed: gold, silver, jewels and iron to work with. They saw no need to try and gain what others had.

The other reason mentioned by Boromir88 is the hubris required for imperialism. The dwarves had no desire to share their secrets with others. They did not share their language or even give out their real names. So they would have no desire to go out and save the world.

Thus it is not surprising they never conquered other lands or created empires.

However, they were a war like people and were quick to go to war if they were attacked of felt that there pride had been offended. Dain was quick to march to war to help Thorin, all the dwarves took part in the Great battles against the orcs after Thrain's death.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote