View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #1629
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I dreamed we (me, Nienna, Brinniel, Mira, Lari...) hosted a massive Barrowdowner party. Now as some of you know, this isn't so far from the potential truth.

But in my dream, instead of everybody arriving to Boston, the party was at some house in Oriskany Falls, NY. O'Falls is a very little town, just a few hundred people, and new people visiting would be noticed right away. Especially if you have accents.

So in my dream, I'm actually napping when everyone arrives. I wake up in time to see Volo, Rune, Agan, and a bunch of others who I can't remember to identify now, but were definitely Barrowdowners.

I get dressed. Jeans and a camisole. Strangely, the same outfit I was wearing yesterday.

I welcome everybody properly.

There is a party in the parking lot of a grocery store that used to be called Tucker's. The town seems very curious. We invite them to join us. Rune is an excellent dancer. I think Encaitare is there. By this point, there are at least 30 Barrowdowners, and somebody says something about writing classes, and I say, "You want to talk to them," pointing out half of my grad school, who've apparently been dancing on the fringes for quite some time now, "they're all writers."

Then I remembered that I needed something from home, so I left the party at a jog, on the far side of the road, hoping inexplicably that nobody would see me jogging, and crossed the road, and went down North Street, and now this is where it gets a little wonky. The house I was aiming for was one I lived in as a little kid. It's green, and it's right after the large building that houses a couple shops, the bank, and the post office. I pass those buildings, and find a green house, step up onto the porch and realize I'm at the wrong place. So I go farther down the road, wondering if my distances are messed up because I usually do this in a car and now I'm on foot. I get far enough down North Main to see the house that marks where the road that goes to Grandma's house cuts across, then I go back and try to figure out where my house went.

Except by this time, the ground is covered in snow and ice. So I'm slogging my way back, and there are kids on ice skates, and there's this one little girl with a sled that keeps intentionally ramming it into the backs of my feet while I walk.

I try to get them to go away. They tell me some sob story or something, I don't know, but by the time I get back to where my house is supposed to be (between the post office and Cruella's house (her name wasn't really Cruella, but she was terribly mean to us as children, earning her the nickname))... The house isn't there, it's really cold, it's sleeting, and there are kids on ice skates trying to run over my feet with the blades.

I get to the corner across from the parking lot where I left the party and lo! Everybody's gone home. The town is deserted. Just me, and some creepy little children that want to run my feet over.

/Barrowdowns dream