View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 07:27 PM   #388
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Angara, soon we will cross the great river Sirion. You must head for the sheer sided peaks of the Crissaegrim, and make for the Cirith Thoronath. I will watch for landmarks and you may use my eyes and memory.

The dragon nodded its head once, all her thoughts focused on lookout for any danger to her passengers.

Pio could see Bird falling behind the great dragon, her small wings growing tired. She asked Angara to slow for a moment and motioned Bird to her. 'A frozen bird will be of no use to us.' said Pio, as Bird landed on her arm. 'We are approaching the Cleft of the Eagles and you must now stay close to us, or risk being killed by them. Once we are near the route to the Secret Way, you may fly free once again.' She perched Bird on her thigh, and drew her cloak over her.

Pio's eyes sought out the Pass through which Tuor had led the Gondothlim to safety. When she had it fixed in her sight, she pulled out the blue Banner of the House of the King and held it streaming aloft and directed Angara to descend. They plunged swiftly into the icy reaches of the Echoriath, and landed on the stony flat of the pass. 'Do not dismount yet.' she said.

Pale dawn mixed with moonlight caught the banner as Pio held it high. The setting night was silent, a few stars peeked through the black sky. Then they were blotted out, and there was a rushing like a great wind in rocky places. A force of mighty eagles fell from the sky with a great screeching and encircled the dragon and her riders.

'Who comes bearing the banner of the King through so dark a night, and to so perilous a place?' the greatest eagle demanded. His steely beak glinted in the pale light and his swordlike talons clicked dangerously on the rocky ground as he drew near them. 'We have marked your journey for sometime now, and it seemed to us one of desperation and of stealth. Solely by reason of the token you bear have we allowed you to come so far. But you will not pass these mountains nor live beyond this morning if you cannot satisfy me of your intent. Speak ye who ride a worm of Morgoth!'

Angara hissed in anger, but Piosenniel stayed her wrath. 'Peace Angara, for they know neither you nor the history of your race,' she said. Pio placed Bird on Child's lap, and dismounted with the banner,throwing back her hood to make her face visible. She bowed low, and introduced herself.

'O great Thorondor, we do come on a desperate mission. One we cannot hope to accomplish without your aid.' She began an explanation of their journey and what they planned to do. Thorondor and his folk knew of the hiding of the halflings in Gondolin, and their eyes blazed when they heard of the treachery Melkor had planned for them. The elf explained as best she could the need to contact the hobbits in Gondolin so that they might prepare to be taken to a safer place. None of the explanation included any reference to timelines or knowledge of events to come other than the known evil designs of Melkor.

The King of Eagles asked many detailed questions and sought to pierce her story at every turning, looking for any undercurrent of darkness. Then he was silent and turned to face the West. After a moment, he nodded his head, as if in agreement, and turned his gaze back to Piosenniel. He fixed her with a great yellow eye and said, 'I fear you have not told all you know, but what you think is best for us to know at this moment. Yet you have not come to do evil, this I see. I cannot find any taint of darkness in you, and I will accept your tale if you will vouch for these others.' His gaze transfixed the hobbits and the man in turn, coming to rest on the dragon. 'But you cannot fly a dragon into Gondolin, Elf. Not even if night be black as ink, and day shrouded by thick fog.'

'I will vouch for my companions.' said Pio, naming each one of them including Bird, who stared in wonder at the mighty eagle. 'And as for the dragon, I would wish it that she stay here hidden by you until we can return.' Angara growled but held her tongue.

'Agreed. The dragon may stay here with us. But how will you descend to the city and enter?'

'That is where I ask your greatest aid, Thorondor. We needs must get down directly from this pass to the Vale of Tumladen. From there I will take them through Idril's Secret Way which Tuor has delved for her.'

'You know of this way, Elf?'

'I do, O King, but the story of how is for another time. We must pass through it quickly. Will you aid us in this matter?'

'We will do what you ask, Piosenniel. But how will you return?'

'When we are ready to return to Angara, we will send Bird to you with a message.'

Thorondor spoke to his gathered folk, 'Mark the bird well! And do not harry her when she comes to us.'

The rest of the companins dismounted, and secured what they had brought upon themselves. Each was grasped securely in the talons of one of the eagles and born silently down to the floor of the encircled valley, and gently deposited. Bird flew down herself and landed on Child's shoulder.

The group followed Pio a short distance to a large basin which had once been filled with water, but was now grown full of thick bushes. They pushed their way through to a rocky outcropping, where the Elf bent apart two bushes and ushered them into a dark tunnel.

Mithadan lit two small lights he had thought to bring, and he took up the rear guard while Pio led them along the close, dark way.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]