View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #27
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

As I recently posted on the "Which book did you start with" poll thread, my first (and by far kindest) social worker read Roverandom to me when I was a kid in her care. She used to read it to me over the phone at night. She was an amazing person who really cared about her charges, which is hard to come by sometimes in the social justice system. It was this lady who got me into reading fantasy books to try and develop some sort of imagination in my little head, but I never really liked anything she read to me until we she started Roverandom when I was seven. Then I was totally hooked on Tolkien and I read as much by him and about him as I could. Before she was transferred to Nova Scotia she bought me the green hardcover trilogy. I am eighteen now, and on special occaisons she still calls me and we read to each other over the phone.

And that's my sappy Tolkien story. I picked the parent one because she was like a parent to me.