View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 10:00 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Quote:
Isn’t it ironic that Éowyn fell in love hopelessly with a man whose (Elvish) name (Estel) means hope?
How clever of you to note that, dear Esty! I recall a conversation that took place in the fine city of Cologne, in the month of July about your interest in the word hope. Glad you've followed through on your research of it.

Quote:
Would she have acted differently had she been happy and content, whether in or out of love? Was it the desperation of hopeless love that gave her the recklessness to go to war as a shieldmaiden and perform her great deed?
Yes. I think Tolkien made a point of telling us that she went to war with the desire to die. Remember how she laughed in the WitchKing's face?

Quote:
Does love lift the one loving above her/himself even when s/he is not loved in return?
Yes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] "Love lifts us up were we belong." We become warriors, heroes, Nazgul-slayers, long-distance runners.. *cough* I speak from experience.

Think about it: Aragorn himself became a better man because of his love for Arwen.

Quote:
Is there any truth to Tennyson’s statement that “It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.”?
Yes. Plus, it's much better than loving, not losing, yet soon realizing that the object of your affection is a bastardo.

Personal comments aside, I think Tolkien's whole point was that good eventually comes of grief. It's the message I got from the Silmarillion. Overall.