View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
My impression is that even at the end of the Third Age, knowledge about the Istari was fairly limited. Their true nature seems to have been known only among the wise. Even many of those who had dealings with them thought they were only very learned Men who had studied magic. I believe Tolkien speculated in the Istari notes in UT that when Saruman mentioned that the number of wizards was five he was letting slip a fact not known outside of the order. So it seems to me altogether likely that if they had taken part in the war against Angmar, they might have been thought of just as strange wandering sages and magicians who helped out when they could. I don't see that their presence would have been thought of as vital historical information by the chroniclers.
So you're saying that even if they did participate in the war, no one would really have known, unlike the War of the Ring where Gandalf (and Saruman) acted very openly. People would have thought it's just some magician who can support you but not really help you in battle.