View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 08:38 PM   #202
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, I can nitpick for pages given time. Look, I'll credit PJ (and Shore) for the Beacons sequence itself- unlike some purists I'll forgive him the logistical absurdity and geographical deviation from the book for the sake of sheer visual drama. But why the hell did Pippin light them? Because Gandalf told him to- countermanding the orders of the lawful Lord and Steward! Who didn't want them lit because his character was rewritten (and, yes, dumbed down) to make him a stock-Hollywood demented ogre.

So why not have them lit as Gandalf and Pippin are riding south, as in the book? Because PJ thinks he can "improve" one of the great stories of the 20th century- and in the process push might-for-right in total contravention of the books' moral compass.