View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #286
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril Aman

After giving Kyria her meal and leaving her to it, Aman turned to the sound of another shout of "Innkeeper!" and went to see to the imminent request. But as she did so, she felt a light, purposeful touch on her shoulder and turned...to see a rather fine figure in front of her. Snaveling nodded courteously then began, with the all the splendour and drama of a courtier of Elessar.

"Mistress Aman," he began, like a ringleader. "I have been requested by my good friend, the inestimable hobbit Tobias Hornblower to present you with a small token of his appreciation for what you have done for us all in overseeing the restoration of the Green Dragon Inn! I would that I could match his gift with one of my own, but – alas! – I am but a poor Man with little but the clothes on his back. Here is a small purse in which, I believe, he has handed over to the Inn a nice little sum. And here" he added, withdrawing a piece of parchment from a pocket with an extra flourish, "is a letter that he wishes to accompany it!"

Aman took the gifts dumbly and looked over towards Tobias, who was beaming slightly in a sleepy, drunkenly good-humoured sort of way and smiled gratefully at the gentlehobbit. He returned this, then slipped importantly towards Ruby to order another drink. Aman unfolded the letter and scanned it...and despite all her usual capability to hide surprise, her eyebrows did jump a little as she saw the sum, for she had glimpsed the coins in the purse - not eleven silver, but eleven gold coins.

For lack of Tobias himself, Aman looked up at Snaveling. "Well, a fine sum indeed, Snaveling! Eleven gold coins..." Was that a spot of shiftiness she saw on the Man's face? She continued anyway. "A fine gift, and I ask that you thank Mr Hornblower again for me, as he appears to have absented himself," she smiled, scanning the crowd, spotting the hobbit coming towards them. Another entered through the Inn door and Aman looked over to see a hobbit-boy, who immediately started over to Snaveling. Aman raised her eyebrows as she recognised the boy.

"Pimpernel Brandybuck? I trust your father does not know of your being here," she said. The hobbit looked horrified and avoided her eyes, mumbling some excuses.

"Just wanted...not fair that...come on..." he looked up imploringly at the Innkeeper. "Miss Aman, I just wanted to see the party! You know, all the different...people," he finished carefully, catching up with himself just in time. Aman smiled, waving away the excuses.

"Ah, sure it's a party! I can't be expected to see every individual that comes through those doors..." she winked and lowered her voice. "I won't tell him if you don't."

Pimpernel beamed widely, thanking her, then turned to Snaveling. "Mr Snaveling, the tailor is here, in the stables where you asked him to wait."

Here Aman could not help but glance at Snaveling sharply, an almost inperceptible frown appearing on her brow. All you have, hmm? What about not being able to pay earlier... Aman remembered the gold coin she had seen earlier in Snaveling's possession, and wondered once more whether this was a satisfying explanation. Outwardly though, she smiled, if a little enquiringly. Nearby she could see Tobias approaching. "Ah - Tobias was generous to you as well, Snaveling?" she asked.