View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Pippin is much more like the Bilbo of the Hobbit where his "Tookish element" is in the fore. Both are caught up in journeys of which they do not fully appreciate the significance, both are impulsive, observant & loyal to their friends. Bilbo who could not resist the Arkenstone would not have resisted the Palantir either....
That makes me think of the way the Grail legends developed. Originally it was Perceval (or Peredur) who achieved the Quest. Later he was replaced by the more saintly Galahad & turned into a kind of 'also-ran'. Yet he still remained in the later version of the story, hovering around.

I have to agree - Bilbo's spirit runs through LotR, carried by Pippin - they both signal the eucatastrophe of the Eagle's appearance in the same words.

Both Bilbo & Pippin seem to have run off on adventure in the same unprepared way - psychologically at least. Both were chasing butterflies. Now I think about it, I wonder if Pippin is as much of a link between the two books as the Ring. Pippin is Bilbo off on another adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd forgot his pocket handkerchief too, & had to cadge one off Merry (who probably had a stack of neatly ironed ones in the bottom of his pack )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote