Thread: Elrond's speech
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Elrond's speech

At the Council of Elrond, we're told that Elrond himself gave an account "of Sauron and the Rings of Power, and their forging in the Second Age of the world long ago." We're told that he discussed "the Elven-smiths of Eregion and their friendship with Moria, and their eagerness for knowledge, by which Sauron ensnared them." Apparently talking about the fall of Eregion, "through all the years that followed he traced the Ring" presumably up until the time of the Last Alliance when the narrative resumes "but since that history is elsewhere recounted, even as Elrond himself set it down in his books of lore, it is not here recalled."

So apparently Elrond wrote a history of the deeds of the Elves in the Second Age and the Rings of Power. I assume this is not the same document as "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" given that that text ends after the departure of the Bearers of the Three.

So where is this "elsewhere recounted" history? While I realise that "The Council of Elrond" as a chapter is already extremely long and full of backstory and exposition, one thing which has always given me pause is the fact that this vital information about what really went on with the forging of the Rings of Power, why they were made and what Sauron was up to never really gets explained in The Lord of the Rings itself, not even the Appendices. We have to go to The Silmarillion and elsewhere for this information. Personally I've always felt that the narrative might have benefited, even marginally, from just a little more detail in The Lord of the Rings itself regarding what Sauron's motivations were, as well as the intentions of Celebrimbor and the Gwaith-i-Mķrdain who wished to build a "separate independent paradise" away from Valinor, and why the Rings of the title actually mattered beyond the One.

What do you think? Would that be too much information? Is it better left a mystery for the sake of the immediate narrative? I was thinking of this especially in comparison to how much information we get regarding Nśmenor and various other histories of less overt relevance. Despite being in the Appendices, they're still there. Some of this other information is arguably more pertinent and might have even warranted inclusion in the narrative proper, and yet it's nowhere to be found, not even the Appendices.

EDIT: Of course a bit later Elrond mentions that it's forbidden to speak of the Three, which might explain things, although that might only extend to discussion of their current activities and owners, not their creation.

Last edited by Zigūr; 08-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote