View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #90
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As I said above:

Quote:
I don't blame Boromir for being careful. I don't blame anyone he (or she) may have communicated with beyond this public forum to be a bit annoyed that he is not what or who he said he was... Boro, apologize privately to whoever you have to apologize to. Everyone, foregive Boro or not...
Thinlómien, Boromir has something to apologize for. The apology is owed to those he communicated with via PM or e-mail or however, and these people have the right to be angry with him for misrepresenting himself.

But we, meaning the admins, have always taken the view that what happens between members away from these boards is the private business of the members. We warn people to be careful, etc. as Esty mentions and as is contained in our rules. But we can't control what people do and simply can't police everything. We had to draw a line to establish what we control, act upon and punish. Years ago, when we began receiving the first complaints about behavior on PMs and e-mails between members we considered turning off the PM function and chose not to. Each member can choose to receive or not receive PMs (or list AIM or e-mail info publicly on your profile). The consequence is that if you chose to receive PMs, etc., you yourselves have to deal with all related issues.

Messageboards are as anonymous as people want them to be. We have no per se rule against a 15 year old acting as a 40 year old as his on line persona or vice verse (except to the extent that the purpose of such a persona is predation). We do have a rule (written or otherwise) of one person, one account, which Boromir violated. He says he's sorry, he's forgiven so long as he uses only one going forward.

Boromir could have simply let the Kent persona quietly fade away without fanfare and privately addressed his issues with all the persons he was communicating with. This thread was not necessary. He chose to do his confession publicly. Fine. He did it and it's up to everyone else to forgive him or not. That's why I say this thread is getting tedious. There's nothing left to accomplish other than any recriminations or anger or "I forgive yous" and these should be done privately.

I was tempted to close this thread a long time ago and chose not to. I will not do so now, but can we wrap it up and get on to bigger and better things?