View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #255
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
PeeWee.

First post - 7 - Some nice IC.
9 - replying to Legate. Seems to be a bit too much attention to it; this is a subtle thing, and he's still half IC,
but I began to got a talking-just-to-talk feel from him here which is always a red flag to me.
15 - More bantery, stating-the-obvious-y talking in order to show he's present, as far as I'm concerned. Discussing
the cobbler with Agan. This whole "cobbler and wolves know something" business strikes me as odd... the only way
that knowledge is likely to come out is in wolf-on-wolf or wolf-cobbler sacrifice, something pretty unlikely early
in the game. It's the kind of point that seems to make sense, and offers opportunities for suspicion pretty much
anywhere, but doesn't actually hold much water. Pitch's response to Agan seems to be a reasonable one, for the most
part:
Quote:
Well, the wolves obviously know more than we do, but the cobbler not so much, as of now - so xe will indeed probably want to make xyrself known to the pack in time.
On the other hand, I see our Mod has seen fit to grant the cobbler a means to send secret messages to the wolves, so I don't know how much 'open' hinting we're going
to see on the thread. Still worth keeping an eye open, to be sure...
Could be as easily an innocent finding the holes in Agan's point, or a wolf hoping the cobbler will act
sensibly.

Pitch then argues with Agan about the seer revealing. Again, makes sense, seems a bit too easy. If Agan is talking
nonsense, why not suspect her for it? It's all very calm and balanced. I admit, I have a prejudice against calm,
balanced posting. It is most in the wolves' interests not to create waves and the consequent backlash. The 'sucks
for us' bit especially disturbs me, as it seems most innocents probably wouldn't even think of adding the 'for us'
bit unless they were unusually self-conscious.
Some very general what-wolves-might-do talk with Boro. Again, safe.

18 - Cailin approves of Pitch's politeness. I'm not sure why she mentioned it in the first place. Something is odd about
this, somehow - as though she is mentioning him just to mention him? A very vague feeling, though, and there is nothing
inherently wrong with approving of politeness, of course. She votes for Agan.

22 - Pitch explains Cailin's vote. Also odd, since the only comment on it was Lottie, who thought it wasn't great but
didn't find it wolfish. Says Oz's post is easy. Funny, considering I would say that about Pitch's posts as well.

23 - I say Pitch makes me uneasy. Which he did. I was primarily interested in seeing his reaction to that statement
as well as others' reactions to my lack of explanation. If my intuition was correct, I thought I might play a decoy-seer,
and if not, wolves might latch on to it, or go after me, in hopes of a bandwagon.

27- Pitch wants an explanation from me as well as Sally. This is perfectly reasonable. Not so sure about the wording, which
once again feels very careful.

Quote:
Care to explain? (Sally too, who seems to be sharing your feelings.)
29 - Pitchwife retires with IC banter. Nothing wrong with it.

37 - I refuse to explain, waiting for further reactions.

41 - Agan points to Pitch's "passive-aggressive phrasing". I'm not sure if I agree. It was, a bit, but it is also
to be expected that people will ask about suspicions against them, especially when two come up suddenly without
explanation.

43- Shasta distrustful of Pitch "bandwagon" though he doesn't like his "havens forfend" remark.

44- Lottie can see where people are coming from with Pitch, but wouldn't have thought of it on her own and therefore
doesn't want to point fingers at him. This is doubly odd, considering that there is a lot of unease, but not actual
arguments, about Pitch, and that she seems to be covering all her bases here in a fishy sort of way.

45 - Boro: Pitch hasn't been particularly jumpy, not sure where it's coming from.

46 - Kit: Pitch isn't jumpy, but does speak a lot without saying anything.

48 - Inzil says part of Pitch's second post feels forced (I agree on this, it does) and agrees on "no Blind Guardianing" -
which is a fine point in itself, but in Pitch's post added to what I felt was its safety and obviousness. Inzil
talks about the wolves having to narrow down the potential cobblers through hints, and the cobbler having to hint to
avoid being killed. I missed this before, but it makes me feel better about Inzil, as it seems he's trying to prevent
the cobbler and wolves from using Mac & Agan's plan (if they will forgive me for calling it that).

55- Nessa saying it's reasonable for Pitch to want answers, and that I seem to know something "we don't". Agree on
Pitch, I'm still not sure what she's driving at with me. That I'm a wolf who knows Pitch isn't? I would know that about
every non-wolf in the village, and he could still be the cobbler. That I'm a cobbler? Then I wouldn't know anything.
That I am the cobbler and going to hint Pitch to the wolves at night? That would be a pretty bad plan, as they would
probably take him for the cobbler. That I'm impersonating a seer? Innocents have reason to do that. In short,
the comment is either not fully thought out, or an attempt at casting suspicion (or suspected giftedness?) on me without
putting herself on the line. I'm leaning toward the "not thought out" option, though. It's a risk I took by being vague,
and I expected it.

58 - I'm becoming more OK with Pitch. Considering the timing, I guess I can see now why Nessa thinks her suspicion of
me is responsible, but it's prompted by Inzil's "forced", which struck me as opportunistic, and Lottie's "seeing where people are coming from" which, as I said, doesn't make sense.
This is the sort of circling-buzzard behavior I was looking for, even more so than Nessa's suspicion toward me.
On second look, Agan, who gave a bit of a "rubbing hands together evilly" feel in 41, looks even worse.

63 - Kit votes Pitch for trying to look helpful.

65 - Mac agrees with Kit on Pitch.

66 - Oz says Pitch is being himself, Nessa and Sally are more unhelpful.

67 - Oz questions Nessa on her post number 55.

68 - Legate doesn't think Pitch is Mr.Agreeable, nor does he do anything that "smells of Wolf" (if I read this
correctly). I'm really not sure why he thinks this. Discusses wolf-on-wolf voting with Pitch, reasonable.

69 - Agan acting oddly here, as if she's trying to pass off responsibility for her Pitch comments to me (which would
have been the reason it would have tempted a wolf in the first place: I started it)

Quote:
I only started to pay attention to the post when Rikae quoted it. Alone, I think it looked somewhat jumpy in the sense that it seemed very carefully phrased

71 - Elrond's Daughter worried about Pitch's "list of words" to make it seem like he's contributing.

72 - Inzil thinks Kit's Pitch vote is an easy vote.

73 - Greenie finds Nessa's Pitch comments odd, my backing off innocent unless I thought my work was done.

77 - Wilwa defending Pitch, I think a bit over-the-top, like a wolf trying to wash her hands of a bandwagon.

80 - I clarify about Pitch. (I overlooked Agan's prominence in going after Pitch yesterDay - I
was focused on Inzil and Lottie).

82 - Pitch talking about my suspicion bearing fruit, me "backpedaling", and so forth. A bit too easy to see my
behavior as wolfish. Indeed. Of course, more people have defended him than suspected him at this point, if I'm
correct, but being suspected is no fun even for innocents, especially on Day one, so I'm not sure this post is
especially bad. He sees what I was doing, at least, which shows a certain detachment. This is good.

83 - Wilwa questions me suspecting her for agreeing with me. I suppose it might seem ungrateful of me(?) but
I do that all the time. Anyone can express pretty much any opinion; I tend to think how and when they express it tells
more about their motives than what it is or who they agree with.

87 - Eomer says Wilwa is "trying too hard" with the Pitch-wagon stuff.

89 - Wilwa explains the Pitch-wagon. I like this, it's sensible enough. I suppose I can see why an innocent might
get over-the-top trying to avoid what they see as a misguided Day one lynching. I've done it myself. Why, then,
did Wilwa's initial "Pitch wagon" post bother me? Looking back, I guess it must be the wording: "I refuse to jump on..."
as though she is being compelled to by someone. There is less of a "this wagon is wrong because..." and more of a
"look at me, I'm not a part of this!" feel to it.

95 - Boro talking about Pitch as Mr. Agreeable. Not sure where this comes from, since that doesn't seem to be the reason for most of
the suspicion.

96 - Pitch - Lommy and Greenie too quiet, Mac too focused on looking for the cobbler.

97 - Sally - Pitch too smooth.

98 - Inzil unsure about Pitch, will let that wagon pass him by.

101 - Pitch disagrees with Sally - wants to know what is bizarre about Kit and thinks Sally is twisting Skip's words.

In this and Pitch's previous post I get a sense of trying to deflect attention, without much actual wolf-hunting beyond that.

110 - Pitch suspects ED because her only post was basically agreeing with people and latching on to Pitch-suspicion.
(Which is a decent point. She is flying nicely under the radar).

111- Lommy likes Pitch's posts, but he's jumpy.

114 - Pitch - Philosopher talk with Lommy.

118 - Pitch - Here comes the alternative bandwagon (Lottie).

127 - Sally votes for Pitch "for shiftiness".

152 - ED votes for Pitch. Safe... says it feels like a shot in the dark. Careful...

Day Two

183 - Pitch suspecting Nessa because she may have thought Oz was the seer, and because of her comments about
me knowing something, but dismisses this because he is not (?) her packmate and she would otherwise be a cobbler.
Sidesteps the other problems with Nessa's comment, I think. It isn't necessary that he be her packmate. I don't
actually think that Nessa, if evil, thought I knew anything at all- just that the impression I did could be used
aganst me. If she thought I actually knew something, she would more likely have night-killed me.

188 - Pitch thinks Kath is a no-trace kill, unlikely to be killed by an Inzil wolf. I think that's unlikely too,
unless Inzil's first comment toDay is a planned double bluff ("no wolf would be so openly paranoid!" type thing).

189 - Backs up Cailin's point about wolves not starting bandwagons.

200 - ED still doesn't like Pitch's "vibes".

202 - Boro defends his defense of Pitch - Mr. Agreeable business. I can't conclude anything from this - can
see it as innocentish defense, but Boro's lack of substance does worry me.

210 - Skip suggests wolf in crowd in danger of lynching, including Pitch. Feels good, however, about Pitch.

Ok, so all this hasn't really clarified my feelings about Pitch - on a scale of innocent-1 to evil-10 he's still
about a 6.5 - but it has revealed an interesting web of pro-and-anti-Pitch sentiment that encompasses pretty much
the whole village. That could be useful.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote