View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #35
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Tall Ships and tall kings
Three times three.
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Quote:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
I have previously posted about the recurrence of prime numbers in Tolkien's writing. Let's see, the seven sons of Feanor? The seven rivers in Ossiriand? Not coincidence. Personally, my view is that Tolkien's repeated references to prime numbers is based upon similar practices in northern and even Greek mythology. He was striving for a sense of authenticity.

monks is not the first to seek hidden meanings, codes or numerological significance in Tolkien's writings and I doubt that monks will be the last to do so. monks has certainly dedicated some time to this. I personally lack interest in such musings and have doubts as to the degree that such analysis will yield any meaningful insight. Others here seem to harbor similar doubts. However...

If you wish to actually discuss monks' posts or the subject matter, please do so. If you do not, please feel free to focus your attentions on other threads and, by all means, start some new ones. But please remain polite and respectful.

Thank you!