View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 PM   #84
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Anwanelme looked at Melost, unable to believe the words of her betrothed. Did he truly believe that she would have feelings for a mere mortal?

"Melost, I.... How..."
With a sigh she turned from him, the underlying accusation she had just heard in his words gnawing in her mind.
Ever since he had returned here, all he had done was to command her, not even once asking her how she felt or what she wished to do.
Even Arthain had shown more interest in what she had to say and that had both hurt and surprised her.

A thought struck her mind and she gazed at him, her eyes narrowing. As soon as his king had called for him, he had jumped from his seat and went to him, leaving her alone with Arthain, his best friend and now he was jealous because they had been talking well?
She took a deep breath, suddenly angry with the way Melost apparently thought he could treat her.

"I have been patiently waiting for you, having endured my mother's remarks and change of moods, every day hoping that this would be the day you would return to me. Finally you have and this is how you choose to reward me for that?"

Melost opened his mouth to say something but Anwanelme cut him off.

"Without asking me what I wished to do, you forced me to dine with your friends, then you left me alone with them. Did you not expect me to speak with a mere mortal, is that it? Since you have returned, you have barely spoken to me, Melost. You have commanded me! And now, because I have been speaking with someone else, you are jealous? And that in spite of him being your best friend?"

Her face suddenly grew dark and sadness shone from her eyes as she remembered what he had just told her and her voice was chilly when she spoke again.

"Have you been spying on me, Melost?"

A startled look appeared on his face but she cared nothing for it.

"You said you saw me speaking with Arthain and can even tell that he kissed my hand when I left. Why did you not come and sit with us, then? He would have been pleased to speak with you, his friend."
The way she said the word 'friend' caused Melost to wince as there was no way he could mistake the blame in her voice.
Unable to say anything, Melost turned away and as he did so, Anwanelme thought she saw a hint of guilt in his eyes and that only confirmed her suspicion. Suddenly feeling cold inside, she turned her back to him and crossed her arms.

"I would expect Menelya to do such a thing, but never you, Melost! I think you better leave now!"

Trying hard to keep her voice calm and her anger under control, Anwanelme could feel her own nails dig into her arms as she waited for Melost to leave the room, but she heard no movement and she was getting impatient. When she suddenly felt his hands on her shoulders, she lost her temper.

"Leave!"

She heard her own voice cut through the air like a knife as she nearly screamed at him and a short moment after, she heard the door to her room being opened and then closed none too gently.
With a loud sigh she threw herself on the bed and wondered if she had done the right thing. What he had revealed had shocked her, but she couldn't help but think if she might have overreacted.
No, she had not. He had no reason to be jealous and there was no excuse for him to act the way he had.
Now she could only hope that he would talk with Arthain. If he really considered him his best friend...

[ June 21, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]