View Single Post
Old 08-05-2002, 09:02 PM   #412
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As Child turned to leave, she stopped for an instant. "There is one more thing I need to ask you. When you speak with Ancalimon or dream dreams, are there times when you can not tell others what you have seen? Not because you deal with evil, but because the world is not ready for some things yet. Does that ever happen?"

He shook his head yes in reply.

Child continued, "For me, too, it's the same, although I do not know this Ancalimon whom you speak about. Please don't tell anyone about this, but I've also seen things which I cannot share with you or anyone else here. To do so would bring only sorrow. But I have come to help."

"I can't lie any more, but there may be times when I will turn my head away and say nothing. The truth is the young girl is not my daughter, but she is like a daughter to me. I will probably not bring her with me, since I don't want to lead her into danger. And she and I didn't forget our names, but it is far too dangerous for either of us to remember them. And it may be more honest to say that I'm simply from someplace you've never heard of that's very far away. Other than that, I have told you the truth."

Maura nodded in understanding. "In war, many things must be forgotten, and we are at war. Wouldn't you agree?"

Child gazed at him intently, "Yes, Maura, we hobbits are definitely at war."

Child entered the main room. She glanced over at Rose. The girl's face looked as white as a sheet of snow. Child wondered just how much of her conversation had been overheard. Lindo had just come inside the house. Another hobbit, Tomba, stood by his side. The other hobbit was to lead them back to Idril's household, while Lindo remained with Maura to deal with some business. They shook hands all around to say goodbye, and Child promised to return the next day. Bird perched once more on Rose's shoulder, as their party made its careful way back across the city.

[ August 06, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]