View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just to start of with a monkey-wrench...
Gandalf orders heartily from Bilbo during the Unexpectd Party.

In HoM-E X, in the darkening of Valinor I believe, when the festival prior to the theft of the Silmarils is going on, there is I think some reference or footneote that explains that once a year the Ainur partook of the fruits of the Aman, more as a symbol than anything else.

I think the Isatari were a special case as they were on a mission and they deliberately took on restrictive guidelines and a humbling appearance/raiment, so concurrently there needs for sustenance may well have been different.

So I would suggest seperating the question into Isatri and non-Istari. Not that there is neecessarily enough info to answer conclusively either way.

But the above Ainur quote would I imagine apply to all Valar and Amia that were not burdened as were the Istari.

Another Hobbit quote comes to mind, 'for he had up until that point cheifly eaten and drunk the most... [ok well a paraphrase].
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote