View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #195
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

There was a gasp from the crowd as Halfred’s hammy fist connected with the side of Cami’s jaw. Halfred himself blanched when he realized what he had done, and bent down red faced, spluttering apologies to the fallen woman as he offered her a hand up. He was knocked away by several of Cami’s friends and family who rushed in to help her to her feet. They stood in a ring around Cami, glaring at the Shiriff and his men.

The shock of downing an innocent Hobbit (more or less, that is, since she was only defending her son, he reasoned) brought Halfred back to his senses. He stepped back, taking a deep breath and reassessed the situation. He wanted, at all costs, to avoid a riot in the Inn yard. There was now a large crowd of townspeople gathered, and loud mutterings could be heard on either side of the argument for arresting the outland ruffians. The mood was an ugly one, and Halfred looking at his small band of deputies, chose on the side of caution.

He gathered his men about him, and spoke softly to them. ‘Listen up, good folk. After conferring with my deputies, I’ve made my decision . . .’