View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 01:04 AM   #169
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

After his conversation with Frodo, Bilbo headed for the pony cart and drove off in the direction of Hobbiton. His first stop was at Amaranthas' house, his second at Bag-end.

Bilbo had initially considered trying to conceal the real reason for his visit. He quickly came to his senses, realizing this deception would never work. Amaranthas was no fool and would undoubtedly see through his words. He had courteously brought along a small bouquet of flowers, but only as a gesture of politeness. So he presented the flowers and told the truth as bluntly and squarely as he could.

"I'm trying to persuade Sam to host a party at Bag-end. It would be for Frodo and his friends and also Maura, the new hobbit who's come in to see Cami. It was hard for the lads to talk comfortably at the Inn, and I'm hoping this will make it easier. No women around or anything fussy. Just a chance to chat in peace and share simple food and ale."

Amaranthas looked over and chuckled, "I see. Still trying to get your nephew out of his shell, so that he'll sit down and talk with his old friend Sam. And I suspect you want me to clear out Mistress Rose and her children, so you and your friends can rule the roost for one night."

"Your suspicions are on target, dear lady."

Amaranthas smiled and said out loud, "Only for you, Bilbo Baggins, would I do such a thing!" Inside, she was already scheming and arranging the evening to her satisfaction. A good chance to invite her friend Piosenniel and get a closer look at her husband. Also, that stranger Bird who was said to be a skin-changer, or whatever new fangled thing they called themselves.

Bilbo shook hands on the bargain, and promised to look in on Amaranthas another afternoon when he had more time. Then he pointed the cart in the direction of Bag-end, which was just a minute or two away.

Miz Rose immediately came to answer the door, and welcomed him inside. "Oh, please, Mister Bilbo, this truly is your home. You're always welcome here. It is we who should be apologizing to you."

"No need of that!" Bilbo countered in earnest, as he sat waiting for Sam to appear. Once Sam had come out from the back, they went to sit on a bench near the garden, one of Bilbo's favorite spots for smoking pipeweed. There was much reminiscing about this and that, until, finally, Bilbo drew out his pile of notes and thrust them at Sam.

"I've a great favor to ask," Then he went on to explain his ideas about the party, and how Sam's family could enjoy an evening with Amaranthas, and everything would be just like old times....

Sam responded politely, "I'd enjoy that, Mr. Bilbo. Mr. Frodo hasn't said how long you'll be staying. Let's not waste the time we have. You play host, and I'll handle the cooking and preparations and clean-up, so it doesn't fall on my wife." He took the invitations from Sam, and promised to have them delivered by special messenger that very afternoon.

"It's set then. The day after tomorrow. We'll meet here when the sun goes down." Sam nodded in agreement, and shook hands with Bilbo to seal their bargain.

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]