View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #168
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"...'They did it better in my day'?" Frodo raised one eyebrow. "And how many proposals of marriage did you field in your day?"

Bilbo, in turn, raised his eyebrow back at Frodo, who nodded. "That's what I thought. You've been waiting for eighty years to do this."

"Longer, " Bilbo replied crisply, with a satisfied sigh. There was a pause.

"...Bilbo."

"Eh?"

"...I'm sorry."

Bilbo stirred impatiently. "What's the matter now?"

"I never gave you any grandchildren."

"For heaven's sake, lad, stop using every excuse possible to find fault with yourself."

"No, uncle, I really am sorry. After spending time with Sam's children this morning-- Elanor... And the boys, and little Rose..." he drifted off, and ran his hands across the edge of the table.

"You and I each took the path given to us, " Bilbo stated. "There's no sense regretting that."

"I wish I could dismiss it all as easily as you can." I'm still not like you, Bilbo, he thought, even now, after all these years in the West.

"And what would Gandalf have said to that, hm?"

Frodo sighed, and recited the quote with resignation. "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"And you can decide-- to look backwards with regret, or forward with hope."

Forward to what? Frodo wondered. You'll depart, and I'll go back to the West alone, to be fussed over by people who pity my impending death as if it was next week, and don't want to get too close to me because I'll leave them so shortly. Like losing a pet dog.

His eyes drifted out the window, and he decided he was being quite unfair. The elves had always treated him with dignity and respect, as an equal. Good old Gandalf was there, steady and dependable, and Elrond and Galadriel made time for him whenever he needed it.

He would simply have to do without hobbits in the West, once Bilbo was gone.

As if to echo his foreboding, Bilbo stood, and gathered his envelopes. "I'm off to Bag End to see Sam. Don't mope."

"I may just retire, " Frodo said.

"All the better for a full day tomorrow, " Bilbo said. "But I'd rather you went to the common room, and enjoyed some of the local company. Walk me out to the stable, will you? I'm sure Hob will take care of me from there."

[ March 12, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]