View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #326
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Let's keep in mind that we're talking about both the movie and book characters. The recent posts seem, to me, mix the two. Note that the following characters exist in both the books and the movies:
  • Gandalf the Grey
  • Gandalf the White
  • Witch-King (pre-Morgul signal)
  • Witch-King (Pelennor)

I'm getting confused as book Gandalf the Grey drives four Nazgul from Weathertop; movie Gandalf the Grey or White does not encounter any Nazgul until he and Pippin reach Minas Tirith. The Witch-King could have overestimated his own abilities; Gandalf could have underestimated his. Plus, like many superhero brawls, assume that Gandalf can easily hold his own against the 'powered up' Witch-King. Assume that Gandalf even knows this, and also knows that according to the prophecy that he himself will not slay the King of Angmar. So I guess he shouldn't have anything to fear? But the Witch-King, being on the evil side, could attack Gandalf via the hobbits, Theoden, other innocents, etc., and this thought may concern Gandalf. He may know that, regardless of the Witch-King's boasting, that the only way that Gandalf could be overcome would be for the Witch-King to make him submit, drop his staff as it were, as the WK would have taken Merry or Pip hostage.

One possibility, hopefully clearly stated.

The movie confrontation, the more I look at it, definitely has the Witch-King and Gandalf the White at least on the same level. Peter Jackson then has the Witch-King destaff the old wizard, and to that would prove that PJ's WK is more powerful than Gandalf. Though, as some say, that doesn't indicate the outcome of a battle...

And note that, in the movies, Merry's sword is not magical. My argument is that Merry's sword, when first shown to Eowyn, is noted to be dull. Narsil and Sting, both magical swords, do not require sharpening. Also, when Eowyn sees Merry's sword, she does not make any comment about it, and she has seen many a sword to be able to note something different. And Aragorn gives the swords to the hobbits on Weathertop where he casts the bundle of them on the ground. Is this the way a person handles special swords? Anyway, that's my case.