Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye A big question mark

Now, where were we?

Right, a Knife In The Dark.

Fredregar and the Nazgul, I've often thought this bit suitably sinister

Quote:
There was a blow, soft but heavy, and the door shuddered.
'Open, in the name of Mordor!' said a voice thin and menacing.
I think this gets across the strange mix of covert secrecy and overt power that the Nazgul possess. The blow is soft, secret, but heavy, powerful. The voice is thin, secret, but menacing, powerful, the name of Mordor strikes fear in both ways, no wonder the door 'shuddered'.

On the other hand, the Nazgul may be secret and powerful, but not used to dealing with resourceful hobbits. It was a bit of an oversight not to have one wraith watching the back door!

Nazgul communication - they co-ordinate the attacks on Fred and the Prancing Pony, coincidence, or something Osanwe-ish going on? Also Frodo's sleep is disturbed by hooves and horns, is he, by virtue of possession of the ring, somehow subconciously 'tapping in' to the communiction or moods of the Nazgul?

Why should there be so few draught animals for sale in Bree? Two possible answers I think. First it was autumn so animals are insurance against a hard winter, and could be eaten if the food runs out, perhaps more would be available in spring and summer. Second, the party is obviously outlandish and dangerous (to a Breelander's way of thinking!), best not to get involved, even if Bob the barman is asking.

Another minor point is that Bree has bolsters rather than pillows, making it seem slightly foreign to us Brits who always prefer a pillow or two to French-style bolsters!

Bree-Land, obvious when you think about it but Bree must have been more than the towns and villages of Bree, Archet, Coombe and Staddle. Presumably much in the way of fields, coppices and perhaps isolated farms too. I wonder how far it extended away from the village of Bree itself.

Who are the other spies?

Quote:
Not all the birds are to be trusted and there are spies more evil than they are.
I don't think Aragorn is referring to the Nazgul here, or Bill Ferny et al, what is he on about then? Surely not the squirrels!

Aragorn warns the hobbits about saying 'wraith' or 'Mordor'. Its a common idea that if you say their names you will attract attention from devils, spirits, sorcerors etc. Is this true in Middle Earth? (Getting a bit You-Know-Who here!)

The poems. I think its revealing that the party know that they are about to be attacked, and this is the point the poetry comes out. I think they are tense and 'keyed-up' waiting for the encounter, they have to stay awake, but must talk together to avoid falling prey to their indivdual fears. What better than poems of ancient heros and heroines? (Considering that a resounding song would be a bad move in this situation). Good morale management by Aragorn!

Finally, egregiously OT, but when I get to this chapter I've always had an urge to sing 'A shot in the dark, a big question mark' (Toyah, the 80s, don't ask)