View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #35
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug*platypus
I hate to play devil's advocate, but after having recently watched Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and FOTR, I have to say that Anakin and Padmé's love affair sets a kind of benchmark for romance in (space) fantasy.
Somehow - don't remember the exact reason - I started reading criticisms regarding the the Star Wars prequels and specifically the acting abilities, or lack thereof, of the actor who played the part of Anakin, the young Darth Vader. Now, having watched the AotC film with the kids, I noted that Hayden Christensen was very stiff and seemed to lack emotion. His portrayal of the Anakin character was widely panned, and he seems to have garnered some bad feelings from the fans.

Then I read more, and it was noted that the actor had done better work in other films, and so, given that other actors with longer track records were similarly not shown in the best light in the Star Wars prequels, it then obviously comes down to the director and the material. Say what you want about Elijah Wood, or Sean Astin, or any of the other actors in these films, note that PJ et al first picked these persons, then directed them to do, say, express specific ideas in a script written by the same PJ crew from the Tolkien books.

So, good or bad, it ultimately comes back to Peter Jackson.

Think that this is obvious, but I wanted to say it anyway, Getting off my soapbox now...