View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I'm not really bothered by Arwen replacing Glorfindel. In fact, I'm not really bothered by many of the inserted Arwen scenes through the movies. I think it was important for Jackson to establish a "love background/story" between Arwen and Aragorn, and sort of intersplice in the movies.

It would just seem odd to me (if I was only a movie viewer), Ok, Aragorn with this Arwen chick for a small part of FOTR, then he's with this Eowyn chick through TTT and most of ROTK...but wait, now he's marrying this Arwen chick? It would just seem wierd if we only see Arwen for a little bit, he's with Eowyn for a good portion of the movies, then suddenly he marries Arwen. So, I didn't mind giving Arwen a bigger role, and mixing in some scenes between her and Aragorn, because they need to establish the love connection between the two, and to just have Arwen show up in the end marrying Aragorn I think would cause a lot of questions.

Also, as much as I like Glorfindel, he makes basically this one time appearance and we never see him again. (Well at the Council, but I don't count that ) So, I don't mind Arwen bumping Glorfindel off the horse and bumping up her role a bit. Though, I do agree with Alatar and Tuor, the lines used and the script was rather weak and bad during these parts.

I also have a lot of mixed feelings for these sequences, (and the ones to follow), theres some really good stuff, then theres times I just shake my head. As already mentioned the scene with Aragorn, Boromir, and Narsil, is great and I want to expand that to the talk between Aragorn and Arwen.

This is a great piece of filming when you have Arwen say the line "Why do you fear the past?" Great filming, because right behind them is the answer. It's a picture of Isildur's confrontation with Sauron.

As far as some of the more disappointing parts of the movies, I think most have been already mentioned so all I'll add is Rivendell (or I should actually direct this to Elrond) doesn't come off as the "Last Homely House west of the Misty Mountains" as I imagined it.