View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 07:08 AM   #273
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

**** Harad/Umbar ****
It was just starting to get dark; the two ships had withdrawn further back so that they would not unduly attract the attention of the Corsair ship. Now that it was dark the two kings decided that now was time to move.

The plan was for one ship to attack the Pirate Ship under the cover of dark while sending the other ship further north to cut off the pirate’s chance of escape. To give Urken’s ship time to get ahead of the Corsair ship Fuinur would hold off his attack until midnight, then when the Pirates were less active. Then was the time for Fuinur to strike.

Fuinur was about to signal Urken’s ship that all was ready when he noticed that Urken was releasing a messenger pigeon from the boat. Very suspicious thought Fuinur, He was only just starting to trust the Priest and now this.
Fuinur was not happy “What’s his idea?” Fuinur only hoped that the priest was not playing both sides.
The timing of the attack was critical. Fuinur had not the time to investigate the matter further. He vowed to himself that when he next meet with Seth, his servant would get some harsh words, followed with a sound thrashing. He was supposed to spy and report to Funiur on the priest’s activities.

With no time to spare Fuinur gave the signal for the other ship to slowly head north to cut off the Pirates chance of escape.

While Fuinur waited for midnight he decided to go down deck and give Zohra, his pet Oluphaunt some peanuts. Zohra was pleased to see Fuinur. Or so he hoped she was pleased to see him…. and not the peanuts. Zohra loved Peanuts.
It was nice having Zohra around. Fuinur only wished that they were out on the flats enjoying a nice ride on the coffee plantation instead on inside a smelly hold.

With Zohra tended to Fuinur went back on the deck to supervise the preparations for the attack. All around the ship the solders were busy sharpening swords, stringing bows and filling buckets with water. The water was a precaution against flaming missiles. The other ship might have a catapult. Seeing the activity Fuinur walked over to Herumir who was supervising the preparations.

“Fuinur, you dog were have you been? I have had to do all the work myself”
“Just checking on Zohra” replied Fuinur
“Ha ha” laughed Herumir “ I bet if that Oluphaunt was a woman you would marry her!”
“compared to some of the women you have bedded?” was Fuinur’s replied.
Herumir’s laughed along with Fuinur, although he did not quite get the joke. All his women were fine specimens, if on the ruff side. Herumir was not a picky guy.
“If you have finished discussing my marital status I have an important question.
Were is the captain?”
“He is on the look out. Do you want me to send a man after him?”
“yes I need to ask him something”
Herumir turned away. He motioned to a soldier sitting nearby to get the captain.

Running down the deck came a short and stocky man. He looked like he had eaten a whole Olupaunt for dinner. He was puffing profusely as he came up to the kings.
“ My lord Dragon. You sent for me?” he asked Fuinur .
Giving the captain a look of contempt Fuinur replied “Yes. Has this ship any catapults for repelling the pirates?”
“Yes my king. We have two below deck”.
“Good. I want them set up and loaded for the attack. Keep them hidden and do not fire them until I tell you. They are our insurance against any surprises” replied Fuinur.

Later with all the preparations complete Herumir signalled for silence and for all lamps and touched to be dowsed. Running silent and in total dark the ship slowly approached the pirate ship.

The men held their breaths in case the sounds alerted the pirates.
No activity could be seen or heard coming from the Corsair ship. It was as if the ship was deserted.

With each minute the two ships got closer until only two-ship lengths lay between them. All of a sudden all hell broke loose.

A barrage of arrows and flaming oil barrels came flying passed, just missing Fuinur’s head. It smashed into the fat captain, setting him on fire. The force of the barrel was enough to send the captain flying into the dark water to never be seen again. If the unfortunate wretch had less fat on his frame, then he would not have made such a tempting target.
Meanwhile the pirates had started to fire a barrage of arrows around the deck of the Ship, one striking Fuinur in the thigh. He ignored the pain and rallied his men to repel the pirates.

As the Corsair ship got closer, Fuinur order that the catapults lode be set alight, ready for firing. Struggling not to slip on his own blood, which was pooling all over the deck, he gave the order to fire. The ignited pitch, which covered the catapults lode, streamed through the air like a comet. It was beautiful to behold.

Its deadly passage seemed almost surreal to Fuinur, especially as its projectory sent it strait into his own mast.

“oh expletive” said Fuinur “why me”
“get that fire out or we will loss the ship” screamed a light-headed Fuinur.
The fire was quickly put out but not before the fire had spread to the other catapult and completely gutted the machine.