View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #144
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Malris was on his feet in an instant, and scrabbled about the stone floor for his leather tunic, with its white Star of Feanor embossed on its centre. He was fastening its straps, and the buckles that held Cirlach's belt, as he wordlessly followed Tasa; her presence was immensely refreshing to him, clean, healthy, sane. His dark dreams faded, leaving only the residue that always lay in his heart, of Giledhel's pale, tender face. Malris was unreasonably excited by the prospect of witnessing Arien rise again; it seemed to be a signal of new opportunity, in contrast with the bleak mystery of the previous mourning.

"See how the rays creep under the fastened door," he murmured to Tasa. "Perhaps the spirits could reach us, but so can the sun's gift. That rallies me..." His voice took on a dreamy quality again. "Though Arien is not the only lady who reassures me. I am glad you decided to come, Tasa...now, let's get this door open, as quietly as possible. The others need their rest, Lindir especially..."

He smiled at her, an expression of real mirth, of childish guilt, guilt born of innocence, of ingenuous confidence. It was a smile he had not been able to indulge in for many long ages. As they struggled with the plank that Oremir had helped them fasten across the portal, their grin continued, defying any need for further talk.

At last the bolt was loose enough, and Malris laid it down; slipping the door a fraction open, Malris and Tasa stole into the glorious light of the morning, Tasa quickly drawing the door to to avoid rousing the others; and they stood content in the ancient courtyard, for all the world like a husband and wife gazing at the site of their first tryst; though this was not, never could be the case.

Malris stretched out his hand and held Tasareni's. It was a brief moment of joy, but he was determined to eke enough pleasure out of it to last through the trials ahead. Together, like youths in Valinor again, they watched Laurelin's fruit ascend to its allotted place in the heavens. Somewhere the song of a corncrake sounded, though it was blotted out by a gull's cry.