View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:55 AM   #31
Precious

Tolkien

As my personal opinion-I neither pity nor hate him, but if I was Frodo or Bilbo I think my answer would probably be slightly different.

Taking it from Frodo's position, I would pity him. Having known all his previous history from Gandalf, I would sympathise with his circumstances. Living almost all your life being despised is not easy, especially when all the time you're being mentally tortured. I think Frodo understands what Sméagol (or Gollum) has had to live through, and as the ring begins to take hold of Frodo, he understands more and more the "Gollum" side of him too.

But, if I were taking the position of Bilbo, I think I wouldn't pity him, but I wouldn't necessarily want to slay him (but that would probably be more for the fact that if I was Bilbo I would be frightened of what he might want to do to me if I tried!). I think this because Tolkien seems to prtray him in a different light in The Hobbit when Bilbo meets him-he meets the Gollum side and not the Sméagol side. Therefore, I dont think there is particularly much to pity because Gollum deserves and appears to like his circumstances. All Bilbo sees him as is a "nasty creature that want to eat me".

If it was me then I would probably sympathise with him-but not pity him. I dont know why, but I just dont think pity is appropriate. I could relate to some of his circumstances, and I daresay I would like him. Well, the Sméagol side at least!

So all in all, I suppose I wouldnt want to kill him-from anyone's point of view-but I wouldnt necessarily like him if I was in certain characters positions either.

sorry this dragged on so much! Namaarie!