View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I think Tolkien is using three in its traditional sense, as a tip of the hat to the Gaffer's experience or wisdom, which his son acknowleges. I do know you can google the phrase "third time pays for all" and come up with several modern instances of the phrase. But as to how this specific saying originates in the context of Middle-earth (or of our earth), I am not sure at all.
There are at least a couple of instances, other than the "three times three" instance where three could be seen as a significant number to the peoples of Middle-Earth.

There are three original kindreds of Elves: Minyar, Tatyar, Nelyar (Vanyar, Noldor, Teleri).

There are three kindreds of Edain: Beorians, Halethrim, Hadorian.

There are three kindreds of Hobbits: Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides.

There were three Great Lights: Pillars, Trees, Sun and Moon.

There were three Silmarils.

There were "three Rings for the Elvenkings".

There were three realms of divided Arnor: Arthedain, Cardolan, and Rhuduar.

There were Three Ages, as of the Lord of the Rings.

And I'm sure there are more.

Now, admittedly, some of these would seem to be more coincidental than incidental, the three realms of Arnor, in particular. But several of these would be highly significant, such as the original kindreds and the Silmarils.

Of course, one can't say whether, in Middle-Earth, they had any connection to the saying "third time pays for all". A possibility for a fanfic, perhaps?