View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 12:55 PM   #22
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have no problem with Liv Tyler- I think she suits the character of Arwen and portrays her well. What happens with Glorfindel shouldn't be held against her- the films are to be films in their own right as well as adaptations of the books. If Glorfindel had been used, it would've taken up time and is (quite frankly, sorry to offend anyone) unnecessary. The description Tolkien writes can't be used in a film- there is only dialogue and pictures. Therefore when he writes that Frodo sees Arwen at the feast and explains who she is, one can't do that in a film as no one is narrating (except Galadriel at the beginning but that is necessary) so she must be shown in another way and in my opinion PJ chose the right idea.<P>Sorry to offend anyone...<P>Oh yeah: what is wrong with anyone being gay etc? That shows a closed mind- the actors/actresses do their job and do it well. I am sure when you sit and watch the films you do not think 'He's so obviously gay. He can't possibly play Gandalf.' Or 'He swears too much- not right for Frodo' or even 'A woman who plays Arwen shouldn't have appeared nude previously. It just ain't right.'<P>Now, come on. I don't believe that for a moment.<p>[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: elf-girl-63 ]

All that is gold does not glitter...
elf-girl-63 is offline   Reply With Quote