View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #18
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

My own misgivings about Liv as Arwen were always based on the fact that she struck me, both in past performances and in the few interviews that I had seen with her, as a callow young girl. Arwen is nearly 3000 years old; you expect her to have commensurate presence, dignity, and wisdom. You want to have someone in the role who can project a little life wisdom and the feeling that she’s been around the block a time or two, you know? An actress that is a woman rather than a girl. <P>I’ll be the first to say that I thought she did an okay job in FotR, but on the other hand, scenes of Arwen crying into her pillow in TTT were exactly the sort of thing that I feared might happen. You can’t put the blame all on her, certainly – those scenes between Arwen and Elrond were poorly conceived, written, and executed in my opinion – but an actress with a bit more maturity might have fought those scenes or at least been able to bring them off more convincingly. Ingrid Bergman was 27 when she did <I>Casablanca</I>, only a few years older than Liv when she did LotR, but when she cries, she’s a <I>woman</I>. <P>To show I’m not just picking on Liv, I have similar problems with Elijah as Frodo.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote