View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #2290
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Groin: good to see you posting but I have a few questions for you...
Uh oh. Question? Doesn’t sound good.

Quote:
The next one is from the thread and I think there is something quite odd there. Now who's talking / thinking and where - I mean the underlined part?
Lithor is thinking aloud. I did not introduce any other characters, besides Erbrand, so I thought it would be obvious (ergo, the reference to Lithor being lost in thought). Sorry.

Quote:
Thirdly; have you thought of those peasants you wrote in a few days ago? I think there are no such figures around and the few comments here have confirmed it. It's always nasty to ask someone to remove something from the story but sorry, there are no such peasants around - and no outside camp-fires etc.
Uh… those peasants who don't exist are Girth and Hamrod. Sorry, I thought they existed, obviously not. The other “peasants” are the inhabitants of Scarburg listed in the post. Possibly one or two NPC characters as well, but that was not my intention.

As for the campfires and the kettles, that is a traditional Medieval/Dark Age way of eating (after all, Tolkien did model Rohan after the Anglo-Saxon culture). The kettle contains vegetables, roots, meats, and is constantly being added to as the days progressed, never depleting, never overflowing. The term “potluck” is derived from this eating style. I thought this fitted the bleakest time of the year (winter) well, I guess not. Peasant life wasn’t not exactly a bundle of roses. Ow! Thorns!

Quote:
But it seems you have only picked up some jerks and idiots... Looking at Groin's last post about those non-existent peasants brings the vision of PJ in the movie of the Prancing Pony to mind, like all Breelanders were baddies or half-wits...
First you blow one of my funnest characters out of the water, possibly ruining his chances from here on, and now you call my NEW characters jerks and idiots!? Yes, that large fellow holding the sausage in my post was Girth. What do you expect a man with a name like his to be holding, granola bars? Sounds to me as if Nogrod have some prejudices against peasants. Girth and Hamrod might not be as witty as some characters but they are mine and I love them. *sniff*

Quote:
I can understand Athanar has some problematic characters around for the sake of storyline interests, like Aforglaed; he could be a son of a fellow lord or something, or a promising youth in arms even if a bit "teen" for his manners, or something like that. Also I think Athanar could stretch for Scyrr if he is an exceptionally good soldier - actually I don't see any other reason why he would have Scyrr among his ranks (he seems to be a kind of a guy lord Athanar would have gotten rid off in the first possible moment) - so beware anyone of you if you wish to try him with your character, he's going to beat you all as he still hangs around...
Soldiers, how can you compare those buffoons to peasants? Peasants have way more class. And now you are corrupting Aforglaed. He is not supposed to be a baddy!

Quote:
So what I'm kind of missing are the "good guys"...
Is that a burn? I think that was a burn. Ohhhh! Your gonna get yours.

Quote:
Now lord Athanar, if he had peasants following him (which he doesn't), would have kicked that kind of guys off a long time ago. In that kind of society a lord is the one who has the chance to choose and will mercilessly leave the dim-wits or aggressors to suffer on their own and only bear with good people.
Cold, Nogrod, really cold.

Quote:
Lord Athanar is a high lord of the eorlingas, trusted by king Eomer, a war hero and a renowned leader from the Pelennor Fields.
He also beats up on peasants in his spare time.

Quote:
So his soldiers are not the lowest of the mob but among the best there is in whole Rohan.
Just look at their freshly pressed golden hair. More perfume peasant boy.

Quote:
We can have one or two specialities to make twists to the storyline (like Aforglaed or Scyrr) but the overwhelming majority of them should be something like "on the level of Thornden" - if that helps you gain the picture.
Yes, we get the picture: clone Thornden and beat up pig farmers!

Quote:
So hero-characters available! Finders' keepers'!
In other words, pig farmers are far from heroic and Hamrod doesn’t meet your approval as NPC. Hmmph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
So, see, we do have some nice people involved.
Foley! Not you too!

All kidding aside, I'll edit my post.