View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 09:30 AM   #82
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Toby Longholes

Toby left the inn cursing "blooming rangers an their meddlings, just how does he expect me to find Barrold this late!" two drunk voices soon stopped his curses, "Oh! no Bartle an' Tom," he groaned finding a barrel to hide behind, "That's all I need, those two moaning in my ear." he held his breath as the two men passed, they where drunk and his sharp hobbit ears picked up the topic of their conversation, "well, well, well, so Barrold is up to something and without good old Toby, well we will see about that, perhaps the rangers will pay more if I give them Barrold," but as he plotted, he noticed another marking Tom and Bartles words.

He felt himself shake as he recognised the bounty hunter, Kaldir that Barrold sold information to, he remembered how terribly scarred his face was and the terrifying temper the hunter had, a chilling shiver ran down his back as he remembered being pinned to the wall by the same bounty hunter when he thought that the hobbit had double crossed him, and for once he hadn't.

"What in the great dark abyss am I doing!" he thought as he found himself silently following the bounty hunter, "10 gold pieces and maybe more if they are after the bounty hunter!" he reminded himself. Keeping to the shadows he followed the bounty him through the town and out the south gate. His face hit the dirt and he held his breath as the bounty hunter crept into the shadows a short distance away, it was then he heard Barrold muttering and cursing someone named Naiore, the name meant nothing to him, some fancy woman he thought then silently laughed it away, who in arda would fancy Barrold.

He watched as Kaldir silently stalked Barrold and was impressed by his cunning as the bounty hunter went ahead and pretended to be coming from the opposite direction, he then had to bite his tongue as one of Barrolds stones landed inches from his nose. He continued to follow them as they made their way back to town, making sure to stay at a safe distance, but not to far away that he could not soak up what they were saying.

'ha! community minded my backside, Toby scoffed silently'

"Hmm family! None of Barrolds family would spit at him never mind visit, no He must have a new lodger, perhaps that is who the ranger seeks," he thought rubbing his hands together, greedily calculating how much he could get from the ranger for all three. Greed had won over Toby's fears and he cautiously and silently continued to follow the two men.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Amandur

"We should search the farm houses and soon!" Léspheria whispered to me, seeing her anxiety and looking at our group, I nodded my agreement. "We should split up, our number is drawing attention!" I said using my eyes to discretely indicate the many patrons that sat about whispering and looking in our direction.

I pulled a small roughly drawn map from the inside of my tunic and pressed it open atop the table. " Léspheria and I shall leave, first and make our way to the south side of town, Here!" I whispered, pointing out the spot on the map. "Then shortly after, Rauthain! you and Maehor can begin the search from the north, here or here! Dúlrain can you scout out the surrounding area."

Dúlrain nodded, grinning broadly, "And if I run into Master Longholes?"

"Remind him of our agreement and set him in my direction!" I laughed.

Then with a short bow to my companions I offered Lady Léspheria my hand and together we left the many whisperings of the inn behind, we crossed the courtyard to the stables and I watched as Léspheria paid the stable master and led the white elven mare from the stables. "I saw not Kallo in the stables" she whispered, "Ah! you know how much he hates to be cooped up!" I laughed lightly, "Will Losseserme permit two to ride her for a short distance ?" I asked more to the horse than it's master. The mare whinnied lightly dipping its head once, "I think she has given her assent." Léspheria laughed, her light melodic laughter warming my heart as it always did.

After helping Léspheria to mount I pulled myself up behind her, I was barely up when she whispered something in elvish that I didn't quite catch and Losseserme galloped through the archway and down the great east road toward the farmhouses that littered the foot of the southern side of Bree-hill. As we approached the south gate Léspheria slowed Losseserme to a gentle walking pace and we turned and made our way towards the grey stone buildings, It was late and most of the buildings sat surrounded in darkness, but a few still had light spilling out of their windows.

We dismounted, Léspheria Whispered something to the mare and it trotted off towards the east side of the hill. "Well let us see if we can find some sign of our quarry," I grinned gesturing for Léspheria to join me, I watched as she stepped forward stooping to the ground and searching the well walked street hoping to pick up some distinguishing mark among the many criss crossing boot and hoof marks, her face looking serene as she concentrated on the paths leading to each of the stone buildings. "Nothing!" she whispered and I heard a hint of fustration in her voice, "Perhaps we have missed them, if Naiore and Vanwe have gone on foot no amount of searching will reveal their light steps!" she continued woefully.

"No! do not despair my lady, she came to Bree for a reason and maybe if we find out why? it will bring us closer to finding her?" I said trying to reassure her. "Now lets try the next street" I whispered gesturing to the next row of farm buildings.

Together they silently continued searching the roads and yards of the south side of Bree.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Léspheria

Léspheria was relieved when Amandur nodded his agreement , she listened as he told the others his plan, once the plans were agreed she took Amandur's offered hand and rose from her seat, "Be careful" she whispered nodding to them in a farewell gesture.

Once in the courtyard she went to the stables to fetch Losseserme, The mare had been fed, watered and groomed, "A fine beast, gentle but stubborn as an ox" laughed a warm voice behind her, Léspheria turned to see the stable master, "I pray she caused you no trouble" she answered softly, "Not at all, just weary of strangers, as well she should!" the man answered cheerily, "But once we talked she let me brush her coat a bit, didn't ya girl" he continued patting her flank gentle. "Then I thank you, she was in much need of some grooming, how much do I owe you?" Léspheria urged, " 2 gold for the rent of the stall and lets say the grooming was my pleasure, never have I seen such a beautiful mare" he smiled warmly.

Pulling Three gold coins from her pouch she handed them to the stable master, and bid him farewell. Once back with Amandur in the yard she mentioned that she had not seen his horse in the stable, though she knew the spirited charger preferred to roam free when not needed. She smiled as Amandur asked if her mare would bare them both. As Losseserme dipped her head in agreement Léspheria laughed "I think she has given her assent."

"Linte!" she whispered once they where both mounted and Losseserme galloped of down the east road, she slowed her to walking pace before they reached the south gate and turned east towards the stone houses.

"lelya hir Kalloruvi" (go find Kalloruvi) she whispered to the mare as they dismounted, then joined Amandur "Well let us see if we can find some sign of our quarry," he said and stooping forwards she began to search for clues.

After searching the road and paths leading to the farm houses, she rose her head "Nothing" she whispered frustratedly. "Perhaps we have missed them, if Naiore and Vanwe have gone on foot no amount of searching will reveal their light steps!" she continued woefully.

"No! do not despair my lady, she came to Bree for a reason and maybe if we find out why? it will bring us closer to finding her?" Amandur said trying to reassure her. "Now lets try the next street" he whispered gesturing to the next row of farm buildings.

Léspheria comforted by his wise words smiled and followed him on to the next street were they again silently searched for signs of Naiore and Vanwe's passing.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]