View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 01:56 PM   #237
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
In this case I lined you up on the strong beats in... somewhere around 'brother tall', I think? It really stood out, so it was easy to synch. The trouble with Melian was that she's so relaxed about everything that there are no big strong notes to synch with.
Yeah, that's very true. Galadriel synched up perfectly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Uh-oh. So yes, I have arbitrary levels of control over the volume of each part, and indeed each part of a part. I routinely drop the vocals by 3 decibels, to keep them from pushing too high. I do try to get them balanced properly... apparently I'm not doing a great job of that.
No, no! I think it's just that I have an idea of what it should sound like in my head, but I don't even know if it's feasible or not, because hearing the music in the earphones as I'm singing creates a weird effect, and my computer speakers suck so even at max volume it is too quiet when I sing along... And as I said the recordings are always super quiet, so even when I put a fff it sounds like a half-hearted mf on the record - for all of the songs. I am not sure what is it with my computer and volume settings.

Listening to it again, I can hear everything that needs hearing in the music (unlike in Duel, where I did the stupid thing and put the pretty bits right in the spots with the loudest vocals, but I learned my lesson). In my head it was louder - but now I am debating whether it is because I didn't balance the volume of the instruments properly, or the quietness of the recording in general. I am not sure if there is any part that needs to be as loud as the vocals (maybe the loud low brass in the intro, at ~1:10 in the video, but not sure). I think it won't hurt from being a tad louder overall. But nothing critical is lost.

I am still getting used to the idea of writing accompaniments, where there is also a line of vocals. I think I am getting better at it. There is a lot to get used to, and this is just one of the things. The lesson from Duel was that if you want a musical line heard, put it in between voice phrases and not during. The lesson from this one is that maybe anything that needs to stand out should be artificially a bit loud, to compensate for the extra volume I don't hear while composing. It's a skill under development.

And Galadriel and Finrod are balanced perfectly. So I think it's not the balancing on your end but maybe the quiet recording on my end that is messing with my perception, and it's just one more thing I need to get used to and account for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Hurrah! I can sing all of this except the first line (and a half, I guess) of the chorus, which are the lines that don't match up with the Russian version anyway. ^_^
Yeah, I was following the Russian for the sketch - but I will match the real thing to the English. That's what I've been doing so far: listen --> sketch --> adapt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
She tells me it would be most comfortable pushed a tone(/step) or two higher.
How is this? Bumped up by a minor thrid.