View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given that you clearly mean fantasy and I don't feel such need to disagree that it is the greatest piece of literature of all time .... much as I love it .

There are many non-fantasy works that I love and revisit but on the Fantasy side I am afraid returning to Narnia was a crashing disappointment. I loved the books so much as a child and bought a boxed set of hardbacks on sale thinking I might give them to my godson if I could bear to part.

I read the first three and I couldn't believe I used to like them so ..I didn't even think I liked them enough to give them to GS. It was even slightly horrific. I will try to reread the silver chair which I liked best as a child but....

More positively, if you want an intelligent contemporary writer in the fantasy genre - what about Terry Pratchett? There is a lot of humour but he uses discworld to make some shrewd observations about our own. Like Rowling he is a devotee of the one book that would challenge LOTR as my desert island choice, Brewers' Phrase and Fable. If you don't own a copy put it on your christmas list!

It is the most delightful reference book and the source of many of JK's names. And on the subject of JK - while her level of creation is not of the same nature as Tolkien, and she is not a don but she is a graduate linguist and more of a classicist than most of her generation and younger. He interest and feel for language is evident and she shares Tolkien's annoyance concerning the wrong translation of names.

Also worth a mention is Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Triology- not easy but neither is Tolkien.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote