View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In terms of "moderns" with a high degree of intellect and literacy, E.R. Eddison's (not Harlan Ellison's!) The Worm Ouroboros (1922) rates very highly, as does David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus (1925; a challenge to read, in places nearly as dense as Joyce). Also, although IIRC also unknown to Tolkien, Peake's Gormenghast (1939). William Morris was a profound influence on Tolkien, especially The Roots of the Mountains, The House of the Wolfings, and his version of Sigurd; he also serves to demonstrate how elegant Tolkien's archaizing style really is compared to Morris' labored Victorian tushery!

Brilliant but utterly un-Tolkienian is T.H. White's The Once and Future King (1954).

Then of course there is all the ancient material: especially Beowulf (personally I prefer Tinker to either Heaney or Clark Hall) and the Volsungasaga, as well as Snorri's Prose Edda.

Indispensable also is Malory: as a matter of personal taste I think Caxton's edition is an improvement on the Winchester MS text.

Post-Tolkien there isn't a whole lot. Ursula Leguin is a brilliant author, but her best stuff is scifi rather than fantasy. Gene Wolfe (who corresponded with Tolkien as a young man) is very good in a wierd, hallucinatory way; but his mytho-historical work like Soldier of Arete is to me better than his fantasy New Sun series.

Of contemporaries, George R. R. Martin is about the only one I have time for, and he's basically mind-candy: a sprawling soap-opera episode of Dallas or Dynasty, with bloodshed. (A separate case is Guy Kay, whose one foray into high fantasy, The Fionavar Tapestry, isn't all that good, but whose quasi-historical novels are very good indeed).

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 10-23-2007 at 03:20 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote