View Single Post
Old 04-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #130
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bethberry

I'm sorry if anything I've posted has come across as a personal attack on those involved in the project. My 'attack' has always been on the 'aim'. I've said a number of times that I have no problem with the project itself - I simply question the value of it to anyone beyond those involved. I simply can't see that it will add anything, & will probably confuse readers new to Tolkien who will find themselves confronted with two, three, four or more 'Silmarillion's. The situation we have at present - source texts plus a 'Silmarillion' for the general reader is the best situation we can get. I'm sorry if my saying the project is pointless has upset anyone - no-one has to take a blind bit of notice of me - I don't have, or make, any claims of superior right or knowledge in regard to Tolkien. Aiwendil & Maedros have put forward their reasons for what they're doing. I've simply attempted to give my reasons as to why I feel the whole thing is a dead end. Its like fanfiction, painting or music inspired by the Legendarium - it may be good, or bad or indifferent, but it won't be of any real value in the field of Tolkien studies as far as I can see - beyond simply proving that such a thing is possible - which has been proven already by the '77 Sil.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote