View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #268
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post

-The Fall of Gondolin: Idril. The view the story takes of Turgon could only come from his daughter; the surviving Lords of the City wouldn't be so critical. Tuor probably made some contributions (like the long, rambling bit before he gets to the city), but I think the meat of the story is Idril's: would Tuor really have given his wife all the credit? If not told to Earendil, it was probably at least told for his benefit - so yes, Maeglin really did try to throw him off a cliff and/or stab him, because the kid actually remembered that part. The general creepiness of Unc'a Lomion, however, is exaggerated by hindsight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Ultimately, yeah: there's a lot of opportunity for biased narration. Not around the Fall of Gondolin, though: you'd have to cast Earendil as a liar for that to work, and I think the Valar would have something to say. But Hurin and Elendil are prime candidates for bending the truth.

Or I can take a third option and say that Meglin was possessed, and hence the actions others saw him do weren't done by him, but Melkor/Sauron controlling his body. He, of course, wrestled the control from them near the end in order to save Earendil, and goad Tuor into slaying him as a form of atonement.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote