View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #104
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I am not saying that there shouldn't be consequences. I am saying death is too extreme of a consequence.

Besides, I have always found bad guys more interesting than good guys and goody-two-shoes characters. Forgive me for being upset that one of my favorite characters died. :c
Hey, I agree about the bad guys being more interesting! I never liked Tuor much, cause he's exactly that kind of goody two shoes. Gets the lucky destiny and everything just falls to his feet.

But I don't think Maeglin's end was extreme. Firstly, regardless of whether he deserved punishment for betrayal, he engaged in a fight with Tuor. There's a certain understanding, a social contract of sorts, that in a fight physical damage is not only acceptable but expected. In a life and death fight, death is predictable. And note that Maeglin initiates the personal conflict: he has the choice to take that risk or leave it; Tuor, as the receiver, does not have the same choice. You wouldn't say that Eowyn murdered a Nazgul, because murder is not a great word choice in the context of battles.

Moreover, I still argue that if Maeglin's treason was known before the Fall, he might have been tried and executed. There's a chance that if he repented he could have been used to save the people living in the city by misinforming Morgoth or helping evacuate or something, but at least as much chance of being executed foe high treason. After all, what he did was the worst possible thing a citizen of Gondolin could do. So I don't think it's an unfair end for him either.

Edit: crossed with Hui.