View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #49
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Oh, I am from a different part of the Shire, Crystal," answered Elwing.

"What is your last name?" asked Crystal "I don't believe I have one." "Why not?" she persisted.

"Well...you see, I live alone in a wooded part of the Shire. I have no close family. I have been alone since I could remember, when Elves rescued me from certain death. That is how I got my name: Elwing, Star-spray in Elvish. I-I.." she faltered and looked down quickly at her ale. She felt several pangs of sadness as she thought of her dark past. She couldn't remember much; just dark, cold forest and Elves, beautiful Elves.

Gently Ferri asked, "Elwing? Are you alright?" She shook herself out of her reverie and said quietly, "I think I'm going to journey home now. It was lovely meeting you, Ferri, and you, Crystal," and before she could stop herself, she said "Namarie, nin mellon." Shaking her head, she apologized, embarassed. "I'm sorry. I meant farewell, my friends."

Ferri and Crystal bade her farewell as she hurried out of the inn, eyes misting. Her heart ached. Why did she always have to do that? She always got teary when talking of her past. As she prepared her pony Gil-collo for the ride home, she made her decision. She would only go to her home to get provisions. She would then journey somewhere else -she didn't know yet- to begin a new life.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]